Sunday, March 27, 2011

Restaurant Review - Lola & Giuseppe’s Trattoria

Last night we decided on a whim to go to Lola & Giuseppe's Trattoria in Gahanna. Thank you Chef Drew for the recommendation. Wow! The menu is simple Southern Italian but everything we tried was done very well.

The Food:
I had the Pappardelle with Bolognese and Ganny the Spaghetti with Italian Sausage and Peppers. We paired it with a bottle of their finest (only) Chianti. The pasta was surprisingly homemade and delicious. It was cooked more al dente than what we are used to but exactly as it should be. My Bolognese was incredible. I ate every bite and considered licking the bowl. It reminded me of Ganny's gravy made with veal bones. Pardon me while I wipe the drool from my keyboard...aj;jhozuihssdl;kjafhlskdjfznjwoeuyf8hw2uhw20vsasl;kja;d;llllllllll.

Ganny wasn't blown away by her dish but I thought hers was pretty damn good too. But mine was definitely the winner.

They bring out a basket of delicious garlic bread with your meal. For the record, if anyone ever wants to bribe me, I accept cash and garlic bread. The bread itself is thin like a sliced baguette with real butter and real garlic flavors. It's browned crisp on the top from the butter and the bottom from the crust. It's fantastic.

We also ordered an appetizer that I don't see on their online menu and I can't remember the name of. It was like a fettucini alfredo that was formed in a pan, chilled, then cut into squares and breaded and fried and served over red sauce. The idea of it was very intriguing but I didn't care for it.

The family at the table next to us recommended we get the onion soup before it sells out. Evidently selling out happens frequently and early. And alas, it did last night before we got the chance. But our server was nice enough to bring out a sample since there wasn't enough for an order. It was very good and sweet. We will certainly try that next time, if we get there early enough.

The Service:
We were greeted at the door by who I surmise was Lola, with a beaming smile. She seated us right away with a warm welcome. Our server was down-to-earth and friendly. She did a great job and made us feel at home. We immediately felt like regulars there and it seemed like everyone there was a regular. I think we will be too. Before calling it a night (see sneaky picture I took while exiting the restroom), the chef who I surmise was Giuseppe, came into our dining room and sincerely thanked us for coming and wished us a happy evening, life, etc. It was right out of a movie script.

The Atmosphere:
The restaurant is in a strip of businesses but it has a warm and, to borrow a phrase from Hooters, delightfully tacky decor. Thankfully Lola was not dressed like a Hooter girl. It is divided into several small rooms with 3 or 4 tables in each. This set up lends itself to a sort of coziness with ones roommates that you don't get in most restaurants. It invites conversation makes everyone feel like family. Lola and Giuseppe were both incredibly welcoming and friendly as was our server and everyone on the staff I observed. The restroom is in the back of the restaurant which can only be accessed through the kitchen. As a result I got to see the entire kitchen staff and they also all gave friendly smiles.

The Conclusion:
I was blown away by Lola's. I can't wait to go back and explore more of the menu. We've been looking for a simple and inexpensive sauce-on-noodles kind of Italian place and we've found it. Total bill last night with a bottle of wine: $61. Fantastic. It's going on the list of favorites.

Yeller and the illegal alien dog were just as happy with their dry kibble when we got back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment